Detecting mental health issues
If you use drink to try and improve your mood or mask your depression, you may be starting a vicious cycle…warning signs that alcohol is affecting your mood include:
- Poor sleep after drinking
- Feeling tired because of a hangover
- Low mood
- Experiencing anxiety in situations where you would normally feel comfortable.
Four ways to help prevent alcohol affecting your mood:
- Use exercise and relaxation to tackle stress instead of alcohol.
- Learn breathing techniques to try when you feel anxious.
- Talk to someone about your worries. Don’t try and mask them with alcohol.
- Always be aware of why you’re drinking. Don’t assume it will make a bad feeling go away, it’s more likely to exaggerate it.