DrinkLink Stigma Art Competition – Express Don’t Stigmatise
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY – 1st AUGUST
Calling All Creatives – Enter our art competition to help us raise awareness around the stigma of alcohol dependency and misuse!
This year DRiNKLiNK is focusing on the theme ‘stigma’, and to help raise awareness around the issue we are hosting a Stigma Art Competition – #ExpressDontStigmatise
We’ve been inspired by the Canadian street artist, Richard Hambleton’s life story. For years he suffered from alcohol and drug dependency but still created sought-after artwork that continues to sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Some of the terms associated with alcoholism aren’t too complimentary – Like loser, thief, jaikie, lowlife, scrounger, tramp, liar.
It can be a lot to take if you are the loved one of someone with an alcohol dependency. Families and friends often struggle when it comes to the stigma associated with alcoholism and a lot of this stigma stem from misunderstandings around, and perceptions of, the term alcoholic.
Alcohol dependency is long associated with mental health, however, someone branding themselves as having an alcohol problem will receive a very different response to someone saying they have a mental health problem.
Enter our Stigma Art Competition to help us raise awareness and end stigma! Submit your interpretation around the stigma of alcohol dependency and misuse.
How to enter the Stigma Art Competition?
- Use #ExpressDontStigmatise on social media
- Make sure to include your name, age, what school or organization you are part of (if applicable)
- Entries will be judged in three categories; 11 and under, 12-17 and 18+
The Prizes for the Winners?
Thanks to our generous partners and sponsors we are happy to announce that apart from the many vouchers winners will enjoy, we also have the following amazing prizes:
- All winning pieces will be showcased at the Aberdeen Art Fair! Courtesy of Aberdeen Art Fair.
- Tickets to Sleeping Beauty – Aberdeen Arts Centre’s “most spectacular pantomime yet, with an affa fine array of dancing, doric and delights!”
- A video package (worth £85) with Michael Samson including detailed, friendly and professional videos, crafted to cover a wide range of subjects and techniques.
We look forward to seeing your interpretations of stigma around alcohol misuse and dependency.